Concrete Pumpkin

DSC_0054

Happy Halloween!  Halloween is my favorite holiday and I have one more pumpkin diy to share. I wanted to make this last Halloween but just ran out of time so it was definitely on my list this year.  The Concrete Easter Eggs were my first experience with concrete and it was pretty easy so I was pretty excited.  Also I did some research and I guess cement and concrete are not the same.  Cement is  an ingredient of concrete. Concrete is a mixture of aggregates and paste. So Concrete is stronger and will last much longer.  The original idea is on the blog Fox Hollow Cottage.

DSC_0013

First cut a hole and and design you want on the pumpkin with a knife. This one was a light I got at Goodwill so it already had a face and a hole in the bottom.

Next put plastic wrap tightly around the face so the concrete won’t leak out. Turn in upside down and spray the inside with cooking spray. I forgot this stepsons mines isn’t stick too bad but I would recommend using spray. I put my pumpkin I. A bucket to get it to stay upside down while I poured the concrete in. The concrete I used was Quikrete from Home Depot.  

  If you’ve never mixed concrete it’s pretty easy. Some people add the powder to the water, I like to add water gradually to the powder while I stir. Only add a little water at a time until you get an even and thick but pourable consistency.

Let the pumpkin sit for at least 24 hours after you pour the concrete.

When you cut the foam pumpkin off use a knife, scissors, and a screw driver came in handy for prying pieces off.

When I took my pumpkin off the eyes and eyes didn’t fill in all the way so I mixed some more concrete up in a cup and speckle some on to make them bigger and more triangular. It doesn’t have to be perfect though. The cracks and rough spots are what makes the concrete pumpkin interesting!

DSC_0056

Show me your costumes in Instagram by using #peppermintsandhoneybees. Now go get your spook on!

Advertisements

Terrarium Lamp

terrariumlamp

I’ve been eyeing this old lamp at a local used furniture store for over a year now, and after it was still there the last visit I decided to make what I had planned for it. Also I got it for $1 and full of rocks!!! I already had the moss and driftwood. I bought fake succulents from Hobby Lobby; 1 because how would I water them and 2  even if I could um…I don’t want to electrocute myself. I spray painted a couple brass parts that had lost their shine with Rust-o-leum Metallic in gold.

DSC_0009

It was a little difficult to fill because it opens from the bottom and the bottom doesn’t detach completely since it’s attached to the wiring.  I had to fill and kind of shake and roll it around to get things where I wanted but I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.  The lamp shade is from Target.  Show me what all you have made terrariums out of!

IMG_3719

DSC_0035

Pumpkin Terrarium

DSC_0019

When I was in elementary school I always secretly loved projects where I got to make dioramas. I’ve always loved miniatures and love making little scenes. So when I found some pictures on Pinterest here and here that combined my love of dioramas with my love for Halloween I knew what I had to do!  I found the foam pumpkin at Goodwill. Someone had tried to carve what sort of looked like a castle and gave up so I buggy it and just cut a big hole out where they had started carving. Of course you can just by a new foam pumpkin from any craft store in the fall. Just make sure it’s the hallow carve-able kind!

I chose to spray paint the inside black as shown below but it’s totally up to you what you want the inside to look like.

DSC_0389

I used rocks, sticks and different kinds of moss for the terrarium.  The moon and stars are glow-in-the-dark stickers and the fox is a little figurine from Joann’s.  Finding things to put in is half the fun!  I’m still on the hunt for very tiny battery powered led string lights that I can attach the the top inside to shine light down on my scene.  It’ll be fun to switch things around every year.  Now get to crafting!

IMG_3719

DSC_0018

Lace T-shirt Redo

Hello all I hope your are enjoying the beginnings of fall!  Sorry for the long absence.  As you may or may not know, I started grad school At Columbia College in Chicago and to say that it is taking up most of my time would be an understatement!  So…if my posts are far and few between lately you will know why.  No fear though, I’m still here and still blogging, I just don’t have as much free time to diy.  Any ways I have this t-shirt DIY that I actually made quite a while ago and just never got around to posting.  It’s quite simple if you have a sewing machine and a shirt you don’t mind ripping apart.  I got the idea from this awesome diy blog Trash to Couture.

DSC_0014

All you need is:

  • a t-shirt
  • seam ripper
  • sewing machine plus pins, scissors etc.
  • lace or crocheted trim.  (Mine is from Joanne’s Fabric)

First cut the very edge off of the sides of the shirt including the sleeves.  Don’t cut too deep, you want your shirt to still cover you.  measure out how much trim you will need before you but it.  Mine took about 3′ for both sides.  you want to lay the open shirt out and measure from the bottom of the front to the bottom of the back.  after you buy your trim pin in onto the shirt edge and sew it in place.

DSC_0021

Next you want to sew the front and back together again but remember to leave a whole for your arm.  I would leave a good sized hole so the shirt flows. And there you go!DSC_0022

IMG_3719