Hey all! I have a fun diy for anyone who just can’t find cards in the store that they like. It’s a fun alternative to stamping or just paper cards. I made this one for my uncle’s birthday. He loves flamingos and I can never find good uncle cards that suit him. I used canvas that I washed with paint and then embroidered the flamingo. You can pretty much do whatever you want. If you’ve never embroidered before try it out on some scrap fabric before you start and draw out your image with a pencil to help. I spray mounted the canvas onto a folded piece of cardstock and wrote my own message inside. He loved it!
Let me know what you can come up with, and have a good rest of your weekend!
Happy Fourth of July everyone! I hope you all are having a great weekend and got to see some fireworks and some friends and family.
So I’ve seen these easy side tables made with a plant stand and old records and thought I’d make one for a birthday present for a birthday coming up. I bought the plant stand at Menards and I think I got my records from good will. I’ve had them a while waiting to make things with them.
When I got home the opening to the
Plant stand was a little wider than I had planned on it being but I made it work by just gluing the three prongs that stick up. I used e6000 glue and so far it is holding. The records were a little flimsy so I used two glued together do that it could hold more. So far so good!
Also we went into Chicago yesterday to see some friends and watch fireworks at Navy Pier so here are a couple pictures from our fourth!
It’s much shinier in real life. I couldn’t really get a good picture of it glistening.
Hello everyone! I hope you’re all having a freak weekend, if only it could be a little longer.
For this weekends DIY I made a necklace. I kinda stumbled onto this one. I was outside on my patio looking at the stones around the landscaping when I found a particularly sparkly crystal-like one and got the idea to make something with it. I modpodged gold leaf onto the back after I cleaned the dirt off with water and a toothbrush. Actually I would recommend gold paint to liquid gold leaf instead but I didn’t have any.
I then wrapped it in gold wire and put it on a chain. I like the way it looks but I think I might add some beads or charms later. It’s a start. I’d like to find different rocks to try it with also.
Let me know what found objects you have made into jewelry!
So I’ve had this plant for about four years now which for me is an eternity! I definitely do not have a green thumb, most of my plants die right away, but this little guy has been able to survive me so far. I kept it in the plastic basket it came in because I was too scared to re-pot it but hated the way it looked in my house. I figured a simple fix would be to take the plastic hanger off, drill four holes evenly spaced around the top of the rim and string twine though to hang, and it made such an improvement with very little cost and no replanting, yay!
I have been wanting a headboard for our bed since we bought it a few years ago but have limited space to make one, and well you know how I feel about buying things I can easily make! I came across this tutorial from http://james-michelle.blogspot.com/2012/01/30-diy-headboard.html?m=1 on pinterest. It uses a cardboard form instead of wood, making it easy, cheap, and replaceable. Plus no power tools required! If you have one big piece of cardboard this is best but if not you can tape two together with packing tape. Here are the materials and tools I used:
- 2 yards of quilting batting
- 2 yards of fabric
- packing tape
- staple gun
- utility knife
- heavy duty scissors (optional)
- ruler or measuring tape
Also note my bed is queen sized so you might need more if you have a king sized bed. I was going to buy some of the cardboard used for science fair projects but then Ben ordered some floor mats for his car and the box was the perfect size, score! I bought the batting and fabric at Joanne’s Fabric store. Both were on sale, and I used a 50% off coupon on the batting bringing the total to around $14. I recommend using thick quilting batting if you can.
If you didn’t know all the large craft stores like Joannes, Michaels, and Hobby Lobby have coupons every week. I use the apps on my phone but you can look it up and print it out if you don’t have a smart phone. I never shop these stores without coupons.
The tutorial I followed suggested using bowls to make the different curves so they come out even and perfectly round. I used a pen to make the shape and cut it out using a utility knife and heavy duty scissors.
I had to tape the top curve on because I didn’t have enough at the top, but that’s ok, it’ll get covered up.
Next I put the batting under the cardboard and taped and stapled it up around the cardboard. I stapled and then taped the edges to the cardboard so they would be secure. Then I repeated these steps with the fabric, making sure the fabric was tight in the front with no tucks and folds. I cut off the extra on both the batting and fabric so that there were about three inches to fold over before I covered the cardboard.
I had a helper
After I was done I used those clear mirror hooks to attach it to the wall, and ironed it. The best part about making a cheap headboard is that if we get a new duvet or change bedroom colors the fabric can be easily replaced.
Here is the finished product. I need to do some more ironing, but I think it turned out pretty decent for about an hour of work and $14. Lucy seems to approve!
now for some more wall art.