Hello all! I have been wanting to be able to post this all summer, but haven’t been able to because it’s taken me all summer to get it right. Arg! I think I finally got it to how I like it. It’s not quite as I had pictured in my head but oh well, that just goes with the territory of making things sometimes. I bought this awesome gray dress at Plato’s Closet, one of my favorite used clothing stores and wanted to spice it up a little bit.
I had originally planned on bleaching the bottom 1/3 and then dip dye the very bottom either purple or blue, so that it would go gray, a bleached cream color, and the purple on the bottom, but after bleaching didn’t get it completely bleached (and I tried a couple times) I tried dying with Rit. Well the color didn’t take so yeah… I’m pretty sure all of my problems were due to the material of the dress, it’s mostly polyester and rayon. So moral of the story is check the fabric before dying, lesson learned!
I did how ever get it to a color I like by dying the bleached part with a mix of beet juice and mulberry juice. I love when the natural way is the best way! So here is my final result. Not what I had first pictured, but I still love this dress. Plus it has the built in bra pads so woohoo!