Hi everyone! I just made my very first ever pie and it turned out pretty amazing so I thought I’d share the recipe here. I found a couple different recipes for different kinds of pies and combined them while tweaking them a little bit more. I must confess I used a pre-made pie crust this time since I was a little scared of my first pie.
I have been wanting to make a mulberry tree for two summers now, and since we have mulberry trees in our yard now I took it as a sign.
Here’s what you will need for the filling:
- 4 cups of mulberries (blackberries would also be amazing!)
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons of Lemon juice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of butter (I used vegan butter which also works.)
Just combine all ingredients and mix. place into uncooked pie crust.
Now for the crumble:
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons quick oats
- 3 Teaspoons cold diced butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- In a bowl whisk flour and baking powder.
- Add diced butter and mix together with your fingers.
- Add oats and sugar. Whisk.
- Pour topping on top of pie.
- Pat down with your fingers.
Bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees F. After 15 minutes turn the oven down to 350 degrees F, and bake for about 15 more minutes. The top should be golden and sides bubbling.
Let it cool and enjoy with ice cream or even just by itself. I’ve never really been big on ice cream on pie. Weird I know!
Have fun baking and eating!